Otak-Otak / Grilled Fish Cake (Nyonya Cuisine)
Recipe provided by Baba's Wife Karen Chan.
1 packet ready prepared frozen fish paste
150g diced mackerel
3 tbs tapioca starch
125ml coconut milk
8-10 kaffir lime leaves
1/2 tsp sugar
4 cloves garlic
5 slices ginger
10g belachan (dried shrimp paste)
1 tbs Kashmiri chili powder
1 tbs coriander powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
3-4 tbs oil to blend with spices
- Prepare the paste by blending the "paste" ingredients.
- Heat up some oil on double pan and sauté the paste.
- Mix paste with coconut milk, kaffir lime leaves, tapioca starch, sugar, fish paste and mackerel.
- Prepare banana leaves - cut to roughly 12cm x 12cm size
- Scoop the paste and place in the middle of banana leaf
- Fold the banana leave like this:
- Place the otak-otak on double pan and grill it with medium heat. 2~3 minutes each side.
Get your HappyCall Double Pan HERE: